Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Free Goosy! Failed Attempt #2

We first met goosy (the Canadian goose) on Sunday. The dogs noticed her right off because she was the only goose that didn't fly when they ran through a field near the wetlands. Because she didn't fly I ran over to see if she was OK and discovered that she had some sort of fox or beaver trap on her foot. We knew we needed to free goosy! Olivia ended up catching her in the middle of a mud bog but due to dog related "issues" (I had to run tie them to a fence with my shirt...which ended up ripping...) goosy broke free moments before I could get to the trap. The goosy struggle left Olivia covered in mud and both of us with the determination to save goosy; we had come so close.We decided to come back the next evening with better provisions. To the untrained eye the photo above appears to be two misfits out for a paddle, but the kayak gear was also doubling as goosy saving gear:

Life Jackets: in place in case goosy tried to puncture our vital organs
Helmet: In case goosy tried to peck my head (in plan A I was in charge of catching her)
Wetsuit: To say warm incase I needed to tackle goosy in the water
Whistle: I would sound this alarm in case of an emergency
Bandanna: Since the previous days goosy struggle left Olivia's hair full of mud, this time she had protection
Neoprene gloves: Since we only had one paddle and two boats, one person would have to rutter with their hands while being pulled by the other boat
Boats: We last saw goosy swimming crookedly towards an island, these boats were vessels of transport to that island
Shoes: Essential for wandering the shoreline looking for goosy or the tracks of a goose dragging a trap
50 Cent: Although not pictured here, his music got us pumped up for the mission

Although we had proper equipment and a well laid plan, I'm sad to report that we were unable to locate goosy. We did find a dead, eaten, torn apart goose on shore (pictured to the right); but luckily it didn't have a trap on it's foot...well we couldn't find the feet but we didn't see any trap tracks. Hang on goosy, attempt #3 is in the works.

0 comments: