Turns out staying in town for a weekend is quite enjoyable. We took in three potluck style social gatherings (including one we hosted), stocked up at the farmers market, hiked in the snow, lounged around, canned peaches and read; it was awesome. The only photos I have are of Monday's festivities. You can play "find K-do" in the first set of photos.
Kim, Victor and I decide that despite the weather we were going to hike White Pine Lake (Tony Grove) since none of us have been. We knew there might be precipitation so we were prepared; when we started the hike there were a few snowflakes, and within minutes of starting we were in quite the snowstorm; it was awesome! About a mile or so into the trail we saw a woman carrying a shivering child in her arms. Apparently she and a group of people had backpacked into White Pine and didn't expect to encounter weather. After spending a cold wet night in the tent, her and her sick little girl left their camp at first light. When she ran into us she was pretty worn out and upset and needed some help; we got off some of the little girls wet clothes, wrapped her in some of our clothes, carried her back to the parking lot, dried her off in my car while we broke into the woman's car and went back up the trail to make sure the rest of the group was ok. The woman said something about her husband having a broken arm, but come to find out he broke his arm before they even left to go backpacking...and went anyway. Interesting. After finding out everyone else as ok we bagged the hike to White Pine and took a stroll around the lake instead...where we promptly walked through thick vegetation and got soaked. Kim's photos can be seen here.


It was a nice weekend. Sometime in October we might try staying home again.



4 comments:
Whoa. Snow in September. I remember the first time I went to Chicago and saw snow on Thanksgiving. In fact, I think that's still the earliest I've ever seen snow. Utah rocks!
We seem to be on a similar never-around schedule. I'm really looking forward to some winter weekends of hanging out at home.
Oh, and thanks for having us over for the arepas. The food was delicious and the company was great.
man, that looks cold. good job saving a freezing child. and what are arepas? can i have some?
Post a Comment