Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Backwoods BC; Day 1

August.10.2008

Hanceville, BC
These photos were taken at a place called Lee's Corner. It's the general store, gas station, restaurant, meeting hall, and internet for the middle of nowhere. For us it was also our nighttime accommodations (we camped behind the store right off the side of the road) and shuttle service (the owner and his son drove us to the put-in). They were nice folks; it was epically nice of our shuttle driver to tell us bear and cougar attack stories on the way to the put-in.

Photo 1: I want this sign for my yard.
Photo 2: Chatting with our shuttle driver (the guy in the hat). I was swooning over his Canadian accent.
Photo 3: See that bearded man behind Lacey? He's from Germany; when we woke up he was sleeping in our camp. Nice fellow; he ordered breakfast and lunch, ate them both, and left.
Photo 4: Lacey gives me "the look".




On the Taseko River
Photo 1: The put-in.
Photo 2: Rafting in the rain.
Photo 3: Eating in the rain.
Photo 4: View from the hill behind our camp.
Photo 5: Red sky at night, boaters delight.
Video: This video was shot in the upper gorge section of the Taseko. I'm putting it on not because it's particularly exciting, but it shows how pretty the gorge was and how continuously fast the water was. It was a cold, wet and fast paced first day.



3 comments:

Liv said...

I don't know, that looks pretty exciting to me... so question: in the videos you're sitting in the back and it looks like you're up pretty high. What are you sitting on?

Lindsey said...

I was sitting on a mountain of gear and holding my camera up as far as I could; which wasn't very far considering it was tethered to the bottom of my PFD.

Daktari said...

Fan TASTIC. Take me next time.