Sunday, August 31, 2008

Farwell Canyon

I'm not posting trip excerpts in any sort of order as Farwell Canyon was on day 4 (?), but I liked the video thus this post gets preference. We drove over this Canyon on our way to the put-in so we scouted it a few days early (photo 1). Photo 2 is my Aunt Candy and Uncle Ed. Ed introduced me to the sport of kayaking when I was a wee College student; much to my mothers chagrin (Ed's her brother). Ed then helped to encourage me to spend my student loan on kayak gear...don't know that my Mom ever knew that...


Farwell Canyon is one of the more lively runs we encountered, so I took a little footage from the back of the raft. (Olivia this is one you may want to watch from your shower, just to get the right effect). Oh, and those people you see flash by on the side of the river, they're fishing. Apparently a few fisherman die each year because they tie themselves to the bank and fish with a net. If you fall in the water in a place like say...Farwell; your hosed. Were not sure why they don't wear PFD's. We tossed around the idea of starting a non-profit to distribute PFD's to native fisherman (and get a government paid river trip out of it on the side).

Enjoy Farwell; because I did.

3 comments:

Liv said...

WOW!!!! That video gave me chills! I found myself bouncing up and down in my chair to simulate the effect of a wave. That looks like so much fun, Lins. Thanks for the fabulous video post. What kind of boat was that? Oars AND people paddling?

Sus Mettler said...

I'm pretty jealous now. Sigh. The closest I'm going to get to white-water rafting here in MI is walking to the sink and splashing water on my face.

Anonymous said...

So I assume the canyon you are speaking of isn't the one poking out the top of Chad's pants....