Saturday, July 31, 2010

Well. I Suppose We Had to Move Sometime...

You may or may not know that Joe applied for a job in Twin Falls Idaho. We all went up with him and after his interview went to lunch with the whole biology department and their families. It was great, they were all GREAT, if he took the job there was also likely an environmental education position for me, Joe would get the teaching experience he wanted, ladaldlada, seemed like a good gig. For a year or two anyway. Right? Apparently we were wrong. Everyone in academia Joe talked to about taking a teaching position at a two year school told him it wasn't a good idea. Sort of like career suicide if your end goal is a tenure position at a University. So, when they called and offered him the job last week he had to decline. He had to decline an actual job, a job that pays you, where you get benefits!

A few days later he got another call about a postdoc position at University of Nevada in Reno. They offered him that position (it's for 1 year). That same day the Department Head of Biology at USU offered him a position at USU teaching Life Sciences. Also a great opportunity.

He's currently trying to figure out how he can do both. Teach at USU this fall to get that experience, and delay the postdoc a few months (i.e. December instead of October).

So, we're moving. To Reno. I'm actually excited for a new adventure. Think of all the cool stuff we are closer too. Like the Redwoods, and the Sierras... This is going to work out just fine.

7 comments:

Liv said...

Despite the little detail where I move west to be closer to you and you move west-er to get away from me, I'm thrilled for you!! THRILLED!!! This is going to be an excellent experience. And a year from now, who knows? Maybe you'll move slightly east-er...

Sus Mettler said...

Cool! That sounds like a good gig for Joe. And a whole new area to explore! Can't wait for all the pictures : )

Brian said...

Very cool! Reno isn't the worst location to be. I love the Eastern Sierra! On a selfish note that works out for us with Claudia's family in the vicinity and all.. Congrats!!

Lauren said...

Congrats to you guys! Maybe we can catch up on a hike or five, before you leave ;)

Rachel said...

Congratulations!!! That is so awesome to start fresh is a new place and discover new surroundings. I hope all goes well. You still need to come and visit us!:)

bug girl said...

So, there is a reason to get caught up on all the blogs I have been ignoring because of some stupid guy. I can't believe I missed this post. I'm glad you will be moving to Reno. That's a great area to call home for a bit. So, are you leaving at the end of the year? I sure hope so, we've got some hiking to catch up on.

Mama bee said...

Yay Reno! That sounds like a very reasonable, very do-able trek, and a fun new spot. Sorry if I jumped the gun with my congratulatory text. I was just excited to hear Joe had gotten a post-doc offer. :)