Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Camping With a 2.5 Year Old



I didn't realize that Ari had indeed entered the "terrible twos" until Ben pointed that out on our trip (that's why he's going to be a good pediatrician). I've been bracing myself these past few months for the "terrible twos" to hit at any minute, thinking it was going to be this horrible terrible thing that I wouldn't be able to handle. Well, if throwing tantrums, asserting independence, and being sassy are symptoms then this dreaded milestone has arrived...and I think were handling it ok? Allow me to demonstrate with some conversations we had with Ari while camping.

Scenario 1
Ari (at 6:30pm): Hey guys (he calls us guys now), I wanna go ninight.
Me: It's a little early, why don't we wait until the sun goes down?
Ari: (winey) I wanna go ninight!
Me: I think we should wait, why don't we go look for lizards instead?
Ari: (mad) NO! I wanna go tent go ninight! ahhh!
Me: Ok, go to bed then.
Ari: No! Don't wanna go ninight!!!! You go ninight.

Scenario 2
Me: Hey Joe will you bring me the cooler?
Joe: ya
Ari: No! Bring me the cooler!

Scenario 3 (in this scenario Ari's hair is looking abnormally puffy)
Me: Hey Ari you look like David Bowie.
Ari: (looking up at me like I'm the dumbest person on the planet) No, you look like David Bowie.
Me: Ummm your hair is poofy like David Bowies.
Ari: (mad) No Mom! Your David Bowie!

Scenario 4
Me: Hey Ari, do you want this yummy banana?
Ari: No Mom that banana is yucky.
Me: Ok
Ari: (a few minutes later in a demanding tone) Hey! I want that yummy banana!

Throw in about 15+ conversations like that a day with a few tantrums and that's what Ari's terrible two's look like (yes of course it's worse when camping when full naps can not be taken). Sometimes I feel like I deal with it ok. Most of the time I try not to laugh, sometimes I just walk away, other times I feel like I want to smash something small and cute.

Many of Ari's episodes had to do with "getting in the monster truck." We borrowed my Dads Ford F350 jacked up super duty for the week, Ari LOVED it. The first thing he wanted to do in the morning was "get in the monster truck," after we ate is was time to "get in the monster truck," if we were on a hike it was time to go back and "get in the monster truck." It was kind-of funny...well, for the first 2 days.

Don't get me wrong, Ari still has his good moments, many of them...I mean he is the coolest kid ever. For example he's really good at saying please and thank you and most importantly "sorry" (if I say sorry he insists that no, he's sorry). It's always fun to see him explore new things and find fascination in stuff I remember loving as a child; like mud cookies. Ari was a big fan of the mud cookie (you know when mud dries and cracks and you can pull up the pieces). Of course when I played with mud cookies as a child I would put them on a rock plate and serve them; Ari on the other hand likes to see how many pieces he can smash his into...but all kids appreciate things differently I suppose.

Anyway, we had our ups and downs that's for sure but overall it was all good. Some Photos of our little camper.

1. Screaming because he can't sneak Dads camera out of it's pouch while Dad is busy popping corn over the fire. Thankfully, Ben to the rescue.
2. Taking a much needed rest in the shade of a creosote.
3-4. Ninight in the tent?



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your "terrible two" experiences. Claudia and I both had to laugh...only because we can relate all too well. Can't wait to get our great little campers together for some fun outside.

Sus Mettler said...

So that's what I have to look forward to, eh? Actually, in my imagination it's kind of the same for us now except without words. Abby screams ("I want to bounce on the yoga ball!"). Sus goes to yoga ball. Abby screams ("No! I want the rocking chair!") etc. etc.

Mama bee said...

Bwahahahaha! I really love the "No, you look like David Bowie". I think we're all in the thick of the terrible twos, and really, they're not too bad. Though I can totally relate to wanting to smash something "small and cute". Yep, been there.