Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Taking It Easy...It's Actually Quite Hard

Depending on what calendar you go by I've been pregnant for about 12 weeks now. I've felt pregnant in the sense that I was constantly nauseous for several weeks (which nearly drove me into insanity) but otherwise, I've not really been convinced. I guess two miscarriages will do that to a person; you realize that while your pregnant now, in reality you may not be tomorrow.

Last week I was about 80% sure this pregnancy would also end in miscarriage and was fully prepared to deal with that. I had been spotting quite a bit and just felt kind of weird about the whole thing. I called my doctor’s office to ask some advise and was told, (and I quote) "well, it sounds like a miscarriage, but maybe not. There's nothing we can do about it so why don't you just come in next week for your scheduled appointment." Click. Just like that she was gone, no time for questions, and I had a few! I know it's true, in general there is nothing you can do about it...aside from taking 5 minutes to listen for a heart beat, seeing if my cervix is open, if necessary do an ultrasound to see IF IN FACT you can expect a small fetus to fall out at any minute. It’s just a peace of mind thing sometimes; or maybe a nice “call us if you start to bleed uncontrollably” would have been in order.

Anyway, a few hours after I called I ended up loosing a lot of blood all at once. From what I could find out on the internet/friends/books/family this is not good. I wasn't really sure what to do so after a few hours of stewing I finally went down to the ER. Now, I'm usually not one for medical intervention but I knew that the following day I would be helping host an event at Stokes Nature Center and if I was going to miscarry I thought that information might come in handy, didn't want to be up there blabbing then, SUPRISE!

The ER did all manner of over testing; it's just what they do. I was relieved to find out that the baby did still have a heartbeat (surprising to both me and the Dr) and that I had a mild placental abruption. This is when the placenta starts to become detached from the uterus; this is bad because the placenta is the baby's lifeline. Turns out this will usually repair on it's own if I just take it easy for awhile (i.e. LAY low for a week or two).

This brings me to my next ailment, the pulled groin. I hurt my "inner hiptal" on the crimson trail New Years Eve Day and have had a hard time walking even a mile ever since. I was pretty worried about it, thought for sure my body was failing me and that I would never hike more than 2 miles ever again. Luckily a trip to the Physical Therapist confirmed that it was indeed a pulled groin and would heal nicely if I would just take it easy for awhile. After I went to the ER I was thinking about how this pulled groin actually might have been a blessing in disguise. Had I not pulled my groin I surely would have kept exercising, likely pushing my body hard and likely would have disrupted an already fragile placental attachment.

Due to my nurses unhelpfulness (and a few other folks I had encountered there) I was not too impressed with the Dr's office I was planning to go to (although they were all sporting pretty cool customized soft shell north face jackets). Going to an office that looks like it was in the parade of homes is nice and all, but if you don't have the staff to back it up what's the use? I switched offices and am now seeing my Bishop (who as of next week will no longer be the Bishop but the Stake President). I know, I didn't want to go to him for obvious reasons but I'm really glad I did. Yesterdays visit was great; I just really like the guy, and his staff was awesome! My placenta is re-attaching nicely and the baby (who I'm fairly confident is a boy) is doing great.

After spending a year looking into home birth I still have dreams of going that route, but over the past few weeks I have come to terms with the fact that now is just not the right time (financially). Maybe if I make it to kid #3:) Anyway, I'm feeling good about things at present, it helps to have a Doctor who knows and cares about me, and that I can call anytime. He knows my medical aversions and respects my opinions. I will not get to labor in a hot tub; but I just try not to think about that (still trying to find a way around that one). Anyway, yesterday was perhaps the first day I actually realized I was pregnant. It's weird.

If anyone hears of a good Douala/Birth Attendant/Cool lady who knows a lot about natural birth in Logan; let me know. I'm in the market and pickings look slim. Thanks to Suz's recent birth experience I'm already feeling a bit of anxiety about the whole actual birth thing:)

This photo makes me laugh. We took this a week or two before Ari was born. We had no clue what we were in for...and I'm sure that once again we will be taken for the ride of our lives.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is CRAZY! I am SO SO SO SUPER glad that everything is going better/well. We are so excited for you! Please let us know if you need anything. We have lots of extra space and lots of toys if you need to lay around and let us take care of Ari sometime. Love you so much! CONGRATS!!

Mama bee said...

Ooh! Congratulations! I know a few cool doulas in Logan - I'll get some contact info for you.

Mama bee said...

P.S. You're a darn cute pregnant lady. That's a great picture.

Andree said...

Linds! That's great that you are prego, and I'm so glad everything is ok. Its hard to slow down... I totally understand. Our babies can be cute little ee friends, I can't wait! I'm seeing a midwife here in SLC that I really like. I can ask her for any recommendations up in Cache Valley if you want. Let me know.

Becca Jones said...

I had a mild placental abruption with my third pregnancy that caused bleeding at 7 weeks, and the doctor said there's nothing we can do, too. But I got a blessing that said to do as little as possible for the sake of my baby.

Daniel was worth laying low for a few weeks.

Liv said...

Woohoo!!!! Glad the baby has decided to stay with you--can't wait to meet the little one! I will send you some new books to help you take it easy. And if you want to pack Ari up and send him this way so you can take it easy, feel free. You look so good in that picture--just a little bit of 'bring it on' in your eyes there. You can take whatever this baby cooks up, I already know it.

Becca said...

I've been meaning to email you and find out how things were going on the pregnancy front so I'm glad to hear that he's still with you for now. Also glad to hear you've found a doctor that feels right. I'm sure the parade of homes is CVWC, right? It always felt weird to me to go in there and think, we are paying for all this fanciness somehow or other.

And I think that is the sexiest pregnant picture I've ever seen.

Sus Mettler said...

Wow Lins! Congratulations! I'm sorry your doctor was so unhelpful. It's frustrating when things like that are totally out of your control. Like when my doctor decided to go on vacation for week 41 of my pregnancy leaving me no instructions on what to do. Apparently you're supposed to get monitored every few days... Anyway, I hear the second baby just slides right out, or that's what they kept telling me at the hospital, so don't fret! : )

bug girl said...

I kept wanting to call and bug you and get you all stirred up with the longing to play outside...I am sorry for not calling though to just see how you are doing. Glad your placenta is re-attaching. Liv and I are great friends for helping you get that pulled groin, oh the blessings in disguise.

Bonnie said...

Excellent news! Ari will be so happy (most of the time)...speaking of someone who has no idea!

Daktari said...

Congrats! I have to say that you look fabulous pregnant. I guess it's true what they say, the hair and skin all just glow! Hope everything works out. I know how hard you find it to be idle.

Make Liv blog with you everyday. She tells good stories.

amelia and jason said...

Lindsey-

Congrats! Ari is going to make such a great big brother. Do you really think it is a boy? I can't believe what a rough time you have had the past while, however, it sounds like some things happen for a reason and what a relief that the baby is okay. If you need to lay low, you can head down to our place, we don't to anything too strenuous around here! :)

(Christensen) Fraser, Rachael said...

Oh Lindsey! I'm so happy for you and so glad as is well. I should ask Katie Aston if they know anyone up there. She is a Bradly method instructor in Provo now and she's actually planning on having a home birth this time around. She's due this month I think with her second. Anyway, congrats again!

C. Wilson said...

Hey Lindsey,

I'm glad that the prognosis is good--even if it is hard to take it easy. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Unknown said...

Linds! What great news! Sorry to hear you've had a bit of a roller coaster ride so far. I know how that is. But it looks like things are going great now. Those little whipper snappers sure can hang on in there when it's the right time.... well, I have many more questions and I just miss ya, so I guess that means I should call and stop typing... tomorrow. It will help you take it easy!

Anonymous said...

Ditto to everybody else-- I'm really happy that things are working out. Phew!
And I have to say that when I saw the photo I was thinking it was current, and I was going to say, "Yeah, you better make an announcement... you're as big as me already." But then I read that it was right before Ari was born and now I'm depressed because I'm pretty sure I'm already bigger than that, and I still have 3 months to go. Oh well. I'm nice and stretched out... it's ok.
Well, keep lying low & good luck with everything.

Bethany Hawkley said...

Wow, Lindsey, Congrats!!! I haven't been on your blog in a while so I just read this post! Sorry aboutt he scare... that's hard. Good luck with everything and I'm excited for you guys!