Thursday, August 5, 2010

Boys Frist Backpacking Trip

July 15-16 we took the boys on their first backpacking trip. Since having kids the two things I really miss (aside from sleep) are backpacking and river trips. River trips with kids will have to wait awhile but backpacking is totally doable. We just had yet to do it, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

I've had the perfect campsite in mind for years. The campsite is about 2 miles up the Lost Kenny trail (or Cottonwood, or whatever you want to call it). I wanted the boys first backpacking trip to be on this trail because of all the wonderful memories associated with it. Joe and I's first "date", snowshoe adventures and hikes with Olivia (particularly when we thought we lost my sisters dog Kenny) and Kim, and just about every person who has ever visited us. I hiked this trail pregnant, with infants and when Ari could walk this was his first hike. I've taken my kids there many times to play in the creek and have wandered the path alone. As soon as my feet hit this trail it's like therapy.

Joe's brother Ben had been planning to come with us to help carry supplies, and at the last minute Chastity (sister-in-law) decided to bring her three kids and join us. We had such a great time, I don't know why we haven't done this sooner. Can't wait to get back up there and camp this fall.

Some photos. Of course.

The hike in.

Campfire.

Not sure what it is about this photo that makes it my favorite one of the whole trip. Twas a lovely morning.

Pumping water while keeping your child from taking a swim at the same time. Or at least trying.

The crew. Ben, Chas, Beth-el, Me, Joe, Eve, Sam, Ari, Isaac, K-So.

Why is one shoe muddy you ask. Well, at one point Ari fell off the trail, in a place where it was steep on one side. Joe being a quick reacting soul caught Ari by his backpack where he dangled just one foot in the creek before being pulled to safety. It was brilliant.

Lou's first nap in the pack. Success!

Other random photos.
1. Joe and Ari's tent. 2. Me and Isaac's tent (there were not enough flat spots for multiple 4 man tents). 3. Isaac 4. Camp



Oh, and we saw 2 fat healthy rattle snakes. Never even seen 1 up Logan canyon until this trip. Admittedly, it was a little creepy.

2 comments:

bug girl said...

I'm glad this was a success. Now time to share some therapy with me.

Bethany Huntington said...

Looks like such an awesome trip. Wish I could have been there.