Yes, I still do in fact have spring fever but I couldn't pass the chance to help my good pal Kim fulfill her snow caving New Years Resolution.
We built our cave Thursday night near the top of Logan Canyon beneath the light of the lunar eclipse. It took us about 4 hours and I think I mentioned about 25 times how we were too old to be doing this. I was sure I would be really sore the next day but to my delight I was only left with bruised knees.
We didn't go the traditional pile up snow then hollow it out, instead we dug right into a large snowdrift. We hit a few trees, but they made the cave smell nice. Photo to the right is Kim digging out the entrance, photo below is Kim coming up the "spew hole" to move out chunks of snow referred to as "spew". We positioned our cave so that you could sled right into the entrance as depicted in the video.
We came back to sleep in the cave Friday night; Ellen who had a prior engagement during the digging joined us for the actual sleeping. I use the term sleeping loosely because not a lot of sleeping went on. Kim and I have sleeping quirks; Kim couldn't sleep because she didn't have a pillow and I couldn't sleep because my feet were slightly elevated by the side of the cave; Ellen on the other hand would have likely slept fine but she started feeling sick and cold. Come 2 AM we had a bathroom break, I dug the cave out around my feet, we piled our coats on Ellen and we all slept slightly better until 7 AM. Photo below: The three of us not getting much sleep in the cave; K-So's comfy bed; and the outside of our cave in the morning light. Ahhh how we looked forward to morning...but we still managed to have a great time.

Special thanks to Joe who stayed at home Friday night and partied with Ari. PS Were putting our cave up for rent, contact Kim if your interested.
3 comments:
You forgot to mention the fantastic M&M art on the wall.
Oh, and your wonderful removal of my useless body on Saturday Morning!!
oh man does that look like fun! Cold, and tiring, and kind of uncomfortable. But fun! Glad you guys made it up the canyon for a little adventure. That's an amazing feat you accomplished. I'm coming out this summer, can I rent it out then?
Looks like k-so slept just fine. That looks so fun!
Post a Comment