Sunday, September 6, 2009

Being a Big Brother - Week 1


So far Ari has done really well with Isaac.
He was so excited to me meet him in the hospital and cried when he found out Isaac couldn't come home with him right away. He didn't care that I wasn't coming home (although he did check my belly right away to make sure my big belly was gone, and was excited that now I could "hold him again" and "ride bikes"). He likes to ask about the baby, find out if he's coming with a places (because thankfully he likes him to come), is he asleep, does he need a toy, is he eating, am I just "holding the baby", etc. So far his attitude toward Isaac ranges from positive to indifferent, but I would say mostly positive.

However.
Despite his goodwill gestures it's obvious he feels a little off, he acts weird, the I don't really know how to act so I'll act weird sort of weird. He's also taking this opportunity to re-test his boundaries; so the whole not listening to anything you say and seeing what he can get away with is getting a little frustrating. He's a smart kid, now really would be a good time to test limits...i.e. your patents are already walking on pins and needles trying to make sure you still feel loved and are less likely to throw you in time out at the drop of a hat. It's taking a lot of patience but were trying to re-set boundaries as painlessly as possible.

Having Grandma and Gump here the first few days helped a lot, especially as it pertains to Ari (photo above of Ari and Grandma's first meeting with Isaac). He felt pretty cool getting to have a sleepover with his Grandparents, they took him to pick out a toy, read to him, played with him, talked with him and obviously made him feel special. It also helps that Joe's been home to spend lots of time with Ari. I just hope I'm able to divide my time well enough once Joe has to return to the real world.

Photo1: Cute
Photo2: Demonstrating the finer points of This Little Piggy to a sleeping Isaac.
Photo3: Ari letting us know he's "still a baby" too.
Photo4: Sitting like Mom on his "bagel" while enjoying an episode of Bob the Builder.


3 comments:

Sus Mettler said...

Great photos (as usual). It sounds like Ari is going to be a great big brother, as soon as he gets over the weirdness of it all. He can teach Isaac how to test his boundaries : )

kristen said...

This sounds very familiar... especially the acting weird part. For awhile Noah would tell us "I'm touching Milo" in a weird voice about 60 times a day. And I couldn't tell if he was telling me because he thought I would think it was cute, or because he thought I would be mad, or if he just knew the baby was a source of attention and was trying to get in on the action.
But anyway, sounds like Ari's adjusting like a champ overall. Cute cute pictures.

amelia and jason said...

Oh Linsey, "the bagel", I feel for you. I hope you heal down there real quick. Your boys are just too dang cute and your picture taking skills never cease to amaze! I am sure it will take a while for Ari to get adjusted, but then things should sort of go back to normal. However, I have decided life is never real normal with kids! Gotta love it!