Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Crying Over a Lost Tennis Ball

Last week the kids and I were hanging out in the backyard, I threw K-So her ball, it bounced off her nose and flew over the fence into the canal behind our house. Ari started to cry, uncontrollably. He cried and cried and cried "Moooooommm, that was K-So's baaaaalllll, now it's gooonnneee". He was sooooo upset, I felt bad for him. I tried to convince him that it was just a tennis ball, that we could get more. No. "Moooom, it waaas her special one, waaaaaaa". "We need to get it baaaaaacccckk". He cried for a long time sitting there on my lap.

Odd thing is he's been fine ever since; as in he turned back into the same old Ari. The Ari I hadn't seen for weeks, the one that had for the previous 3 weeks been acting just like he did after Isaac was born, like his world as he knew it was off kilter. It's great to have him back after a good long cry over a tennis ball. My guess is he had some pent up emotions he didn't really know what to do with and just had to let them out.

Ari's also taken on a few very important roles, which he greatly enjoys. He's the mail box opener (with a key), garage door opener (with a button) and yeller at Mom if he sees Lou heading up the stairs when Mom forgets to move the baby gate. Having two friends here has helped a lot as well, he gets along with Alex's boys great and has gotten opportunities to play with them a few times already.

Lou adjusted pretty quick. He's not back to sleeping all that great yet, but during the day he's generally a very happy kid. He loves that this house is big enough for him to run and he takes full advantage.

Joe's starting to get use to things in the lab, which seems to be a lot more relaxed that than his former lab (both good and bad). I'm happy to be shopping at Trader Joes, found some great exercise routes and love that we have a set of friends here.

I have to say; overall everyone seems to be pretty darn happy.

2 comments:

Liv said...

We all need to cry over a lost tennis ball from time to time--makes everything better! Glad everyone is settling in okay, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about your first Thanksgiving outside of Utah!

Sus Mettler said...

I've cried over much less significant events. I'm glad he got it out of his system!