If you would have told me back in 1998 when I first moved to Logan that I would be leaving over 12 years later (most of those years spent living in Logan) with a husband and 2 kids, and that it would take me a 16 foot truck to pack all my belongings, I would have laughed. When I first moved to Logan I was even more of an idealist than I am now. I didn't necessarily have plans to get married, rather I chose a degree that would allow me to be outside as much as possible, focused on field jobs in the summers and had an application to join the Peace Corp; one might say I was a product of the Natural Resources Department. I was going places. My life was going to be a grand adventure. I was going to save the world. Haahaha, sometimes I miss that girl. But I'm glad she was wrong.
________________________
Isaac spent our last week in Logan hanging onto my leg and wining, apparently thinking he would get left or end up in a box if he let go. I literally drug him around everywhere I went and even considered packing in my underwear so he wouldn't have my pant lets to cling too. Ari spent the last week throwing an unusual number of fits and tried to be as obnoxious as possible, apparently he also needed to make his presence known so that he too wouldn't be forgotten. I spent the week trying to pack, tripping over things I swear I already packed, getting frustrated and giving up to entertain the children. Joe spend the last week up on campus far more than we had intended.
Tuesday afternoon we picked up the truck. Ari seemed to be in better spirits once he saw there was a large truck involved in all this. That night some of our neighbors came over to load boxes into the truck. It was amazing to see how quickly people can work when there's no little monkey hanging on their legs; their only obstacle was Ari who was having a great time loading and unloading empty boxes into and out of the moving truck.
Wednesday our sister-in-law and her 3 kids came up from Lehi to help. THANK GOODNESS. Chas went strait to work cleaning, packing and entertaining Isaac, and the cousins were exactly what Ari needed. Chas stayed until about 5 and by 8:30 pm we were on the road to Reno. It all happened so fast. But perhaps it was better that way as I was too busy to have time to morn.
The drive to Wells was great. Isaac slept for the first few hours, I listened to old episodes of This American Life until I no longer got coverage, then I just sat there in silence, beautiful silence. Isaac woke up outside of Wells, and I was forced to entertain through peek-a-boo almost all the way to Ely. We tried to say in Wells but the hotels were full. Yes FULL, in Wells. Pipeline projects, bah! We ended up getting a hotel in Ely and got to Reno the following day around 2pm.
Alex, a friend of mine from College brought his two little boys over to help unpack. The boys entertained Ari while Alex helped Joe unpack the truck. I drug Isaac around on my leg and started taking stuff out of boxes. Alex's blessed wife brought us pizza and we got to chat with them for a bit. So glad we already have at least 2 friends here; seeing familiar faces on our first night was awesome!
Anyway. I finally got around to downloading the photos from my camera last night (hence the Halloween photos) and found some photos of the kids hanging out in the backyard the evening we took down the chicken coop. When I saw them I got a lump in my throat. I miss our chickens, our hammocks, our swings, our bug habitats, our trees, and our lawn mower that sadly didn't fit in the moving truck.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
The Move
Posted by
Lindsey
at
5:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









4 comments:
Funny thing. I think I tried to get a hotel room in Wells and the only hotel was full of those pipeline workers. I was driving through the Wah Wah Mts and I was dog tired and I had to drive all the way to Beaver, where some hotel manager started giving me a hard time. I remember looking at him and trying desperately not to cuss him out, finally just walked out of the hotel and found another.
Good times.
You are such a good writer Lins. I loved reading this and now I have a lump in my throat for you... the reminiscing about bygone days and things that could have been resonates in every word you wrote.
Don't worry, you may still save the world (you've saved me a time or two), you've been many places, and your life has been full of adventure (if you need a reminder, I'd be happy to send you a list of minor adventures in which I know you partook)! AND you managed to squeeze in time for a family. Chickens come and go, hammocks and swings can be rebuilt, bugs are everywhere. The irreplaceable things--a curious four year old, a wild and crazy Zikkity Lou, and the best husband ever--are there with you for your newest adventure. Watch out Reno!!!
Those boys of yours are getting too darn big too darn fast. I miss them. And that yard. And you.
Glad to hear you had people to help on both ends of the move. That makes such a difference.
P.S. That first part made me cry about my own "should've been"s.
Post a Comment