Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Scotty's Castle - Death Valley CA

While in St.G over the holidays I built a puzzle of Scotty's Castle. At first I was not alone in the endeavor and always had at least one other person helping me. Then, one afternoon when the puzzle was nearly finished, two little 4 year olds decided it would be funny to destroy it while no one was looking. Not funny. After this incident no one wanted to start over on the puzzle, except for me. I started all over, and finished it mostly alone in the corner at times when most people were fast asleep in their beds.


This brings me to our drive back to Reno. We left late one evening and only made it about 4 hours. This meant we had to drive 6 hours the next day. We started out on our 6 hours drive and en route saw a sign informing us that Scotty's Castle was only 27 miles off our route! I HAD to see it! Yes, it would add an hour of driving and who knows how many hours of sight seeing but I'd worked so hard on the puzzle how could I not? So, we made the detour.

What do you think? Does it look like the puzzle? I know, they totally screwed up on the location of the clock tower.


And a few of my favorite photos. I've excluded many door photos, but trust me, the coolest thing about this place is the doors. They were amazing. It was a fun detour; of course Isaac didn't think so, he was ornery and ready for a nap, can't say I blamed him. He ended up falling asleep upright in Joe's arms.


This last photo all pretty much sums up the rest of the drive. I think it took us another 10 hours after Scotty's castle to get home. Lots of stops, meltdowns, breaks, strong headwinds against bikes on top of the van, snow, being second on the scene of a car accident etc. LLOOONNNGGG day. Still have yet to recover from that one.


2 comments:

Mama bee said...

Look at you, blogging away! Yay! Now I totally want to go to Scotty's Castle next time we're near Death Valley. Those doors are awesome. Poor Lou, though. That's such a very sad face. :( Sorry to hear the trek home was such a drag.

Bonnie said...

I have to say, your photos rival those of the worlds best photographers. You have a rare and wonderful talent!!