Monday, October 1, 2007

E.O. Wilson's Rock Star Status

Today we met a legend (and we like to think distant relative), Dr. Edward Osborne (aka E.O) Wilson.

We're up here at the Teton Science School helping out with a little event called a "BioBlitz"; it's taking place in conjunction with the Wildlife Film Festival here in Jackson WY. Joe is here lending his insect ID Skills and I'm here because...like I'm going to stay home while Joe's in Jackson. E.O. Wilson has a film debuting at the festival (which we are attending) so he was in town and since he's considered one of the BioBlitz gurus...yayadayada he stopped by.

I (being the dork that I am) got a few paparazzi style photos; I figured that when Ari grows up to be a world renowned conservationist too these photos will look good in his office at Harvard (ahhh a mothers dreams). Joe got to talk to him briefly (photo above, Dr.Wilson in brown, and Exec. Director of TSS Jack Shea in blue) on his way to visit a local elementary but Ari and I got to stay and witness E.O.'s Rock Star Status. There were quite a few reporters and camera crews all documenting him talking to school children and giving his thoughts on conservation and such. He was a really nice guy. It was quite satisfying to see a media frenzy for someone who has actually made a contribution to society.

Side Note: One of the film crews was from National Geographic, they got extensive footage of Joe helping kids ID bugs...BAM just like that Joe makes it in a National Geographic film.


This photo was taken (courtesy of the wildlife station captain) using a little technique I remember Olivia using in Greece.


Wow Ari, is that E.O. Wilson casually positioned behind you in all these shots?

2 comments:

bug girl said...

That is so cool. E.O. himself. Ari will be so pleased with these in his office. Most of his students will say..."E.O. Wilson, WHO?"

What was the name of the character Michael Jackson played in the Disney movie set in outerspace and played only in Disneyland, wasn't it Captain E.O.? I wonder why he was called that?

Liv said...

Wow. Just today in my biogeography book I was looking at this set of pictures of influential ecology people. It had Darwin, Wallace, and E.O. Wilson!
I can't wait until the day I open a text book and it says something like: "The ideas of E.O. Wilson provided the foundation for the revolutionarey work of R.E. Wilson, which has forever changed how we choose to value our environment and yellow ducks." and has pictures of them side by side.

Nice job with the nonchalant over the subject's shoulder paparazzi shots. I am very very impressed. I don't think either Wilson in the photos knew what was happening!