Back when I was in the workforce we would start off every year with some sort of strategic planning. This always involved lofty goals and objectives for the year to come. Some goals got accomplished and some didn’t; but one thing was for sure, they always took precedence over my personal goals.
This year will be different. As far as working goes I have a few contract gigs lined up but I have purposely tried to leave plenty of time for ME. I don’t know how many other new Moms suffered an identity crisis but I sure did. I think these goals are my way of not only re-discovering who I am in this new role but also trying to appreciate the fact that I just might be able to accomplish something for myself this year.
I decided to post some of my goals partly due to inspiration from reading other friends goals, partly because I needed to publish them before my list got too long, and partly in hopes that I can get a little support (i.e. if you see me outside without sunglasses please call me on it).
1. Climb, Kayak, Backpack, Ski and Mt.Bike twice as many days as I did last year.
This should be fairly easy considering 2007 was an all time low as far as recreational activities go.
2. Wear Sunglasses more often.
This will be a hard one. I get so disoriented when I wear sunglasses. I get lost driving, walking or hiking with the blasted things but I need to be more pro-active about saving my eyesight, it’s been good to me for 29 years but you never know.
3. Do Five pull-ups
This is my shot at making a measurable physical goal. I started back into a pull-up regiment in December when I could only do two and as of today I’m up to three.
4. Gain 2 pounds…of muscle.
Another physical goal, not sure how measurable it will be. I will accomplish this not only by strengthening my upper body as in goal #3, but I will also be hiking strait up mountains, jogging and participating in goal #1’s recreational activities.
5. Take Ari backpacking.
I did try this one last year, but the weather never cooperated.
6. Journal more consistently and more often.
I always make this goal and I never write as much as I would like to.
7. Make a Budget and keep it, or at least come close.
For some reason I often think I’m rich.
8. Discover 10 new hikes.
There are so many great hikes around here but I tend to stick with the same old same old. Not this year.
9. Take a solo trip.
Just something I haven’t done for a while.
10. Go to an Opera.
Never been.
11. Write more thank-you’s, remember birthdays, and act on impulses…
I couldn’t think of a word or phrase to describe this goal. You know when you have a thought to do something for someone but then shrug it off and say “oh they don’t need me to do that”, or come up with some other excuse not to be nice. I’m not going to make excuses this year; I’m just going to act on the impulse.
12. Help Olivia get her deposit back.
Olivia moved out of the house we shared on the west side almost a year ago. Her landlord never gave her the deposit back. I vow to help her get it back be it supporting or stalking.
13. Do something really great for my 30th Birthday.
I never really do anything for my Birthday, but that HAS to change this year. You only turn 30 once.
14. Consider Dreads.
Just one of those things I’ve always wanted to try. Notice I’m not committing this year, but I will be putting together a dread assessment based largely on how Lauren likes hers.
15. Enjoy being a Mom.
Last year ended up being mostly about surviving; this year will be all about enjoying.
16. Take 20 photos that I would deem “portfolio” worthy.
What can I say; I’m my worst critic.
17. Spend time with my camera (and Photoshop) every week.
I really want to develop my own style this year. I can take any old photo and make it look ok or I can make a photo look like a magazine or client wants it but I want my own style. This goal will require a lot of practice, which will require a lot of subjects…so let me know if you would like to volunteer.
18. Get ready to start my own business in 2009.
I feel like we needed a drum roll before this one or something. As many of you know I have been doing photography for my brothers design firm, all the while thinking about also starting my own photography business. I have put it off for years not because I don’t want to do it but because others have far more confidence in me than I do. There are several aspects of my photography I want to work on this year and if I’m satisfied with the results I think I will “dare” to put my work out there. By getting things ready I mean a website, logo, name, plan, logistics…and most importantly complete goals #16 and #17 to my satisfaction.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
New Years Resolutions 08
Posted by
Lindsey
at
10:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
On the deposits thing: Utah law states that landlords have 60 days to give back the deposit. If they don't return either it or a receipt stating what it was all used for (reason they're refusing to return it), the renter automatically is entitled to the entire deposit plus $200. You have the right to sue in small-claims court to get this.
Good luck on that part!
The other goals make me feel guilty for not even trying to make one (beyond 'survive another year').
Well Linds - I have to let you know that you are not alone in all your motherhood strifes. Identity is hard, alone time is nonexistent - and you just wish a three month old baby could go out in 5 degree weather so that you could go out in 5 degree weather. May the force be with in accomplishing your goals... and I'm going out to purchase a drum to get the roll going in 2009 when Lindsey goes on the market with her unique and captivating photographic style.
Linds, you're my favorite.
I will help you where ever you see fit. I want to see you accomplish 80% of these, minimally. I would like to really see you accomplish 90%, but I have to accept the fact that sometimes life changes our lives and our goals get pushed to the side. Good luck.
Count Claudia, Myelle and I in to help you with goal #1 for sure! Sounds like some 'mini' rendezvous to me ;)
Sounds like a good (and reasonable) set of goals. I'm right there with you on the re-establishing an identity thing. And if we can both work on #15 together at times, I think that'd be great.
In the interest of helping, I volunteer our family if you need subjects to help define your style of unique portrait photography. Especially Cora. :-) Purely altruistic, I swear.
Oh, and we'll need to know when your birthday is if we are to be of any help in making it a fabulous one.
Woohoo! Nice goals Linds! And such a well-stated introduction.... you sort of summed up the point of resolutions there, rather nicely. To become the person you want to be. I have complete confidence that you will accomplish them all, and a couple of things that you will realize at the end of the year that you forgot to put on. I'll help cheer you on... but you already knew that.
Hey Lindsey!
Reestablishing identity is totally important--that's why I do all my enormous amount of projects, businesses, dance, programming, etc--because I refuse to just be a lump. :) You'll see that Becca does that too, through her novel-writing. The only thing that I don't do as much as I would really, really like to is traveling--because of the cost. But if you're going to do any car trips and want company, I'm totally there! Or we could come visit you and help out with the new hikes. :) And hey, if you need web programming for your business, I'd love to help you set up a website. I'm pretty good at that and so is Jon, though you probably have tons of people who could do it, or maybe you know how to do it yourself. Let me know!
And have you heard of the 30 for 30? 30 goals to reach for your 30th birthday, or doing 30 things to help improve the world, donating 30 things to charity or 3rd-world countries, have 30 pictures portfolio-ready, etc. Maybe visiting 30 places you've wanted to go before May 10th (wow, that's a lot)! Anyway, it can help to make it special. Me, I still have a year to go for that, but I'm planning on trying it! :)
hey. i like your goals. i think you are already an amazing photographer & you will do great in business. also, i thought you should know that you inspired me to try to do pullups on the monkeybars when I took noah to the park the other day. i will let you know when I make it to 1 full pullup. good luck with your resolutions!
Lindsey,
I love your list! I can't believe we are all turning 30:{
Post a Comment