Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's Fun to Visit Us

My parents came up to visit for the weekend, they got here on Saturday afternoon and by Saturday night I think they were ready to go home. Here's how we spent the first 8 hours.

My Dad kicked things off by trying to make Ari a little bean shooter. He promptly used his new knife to slice his finger open that bled on my rug, coffee table and REI catalog. He still has no feeling in his upper finger, he thinks he hit a nerve. Here's how we fixed it up, and he's holding the still uncompleted bean shooter (side note: this is my new favorite photo).
After we got that taken care of we decided that right after I started a quick soak on some beans in my pressure cooker that we would head over to Adam Elemntary to their "Keep on Trucking" event.

Once we got there my Mom made us take this dorky photo.

Ari sat in some trucks. He was afraid of them at first, but that didn't last long.



The event went off without a hitch, ahhh we were so happy then.
Then we walked home. When we got to the top of our block we could smell something burning. About 4 seconds after my Mom took this photo Joe called and said "you left the beans on the stove". It was slightly unnerving to see smoke bellowing from your home from about 4 houses away...I swear you can see the smoke from down the block in this photo, you could sure smell it.
My first thought was to take a photo, but I saw that my Mom was on top of it so I just stared. Joe said that when we walked in he couldn't see more than about 6 feet in front of his face the smoke was so thick. K-So was cowering by the door so Joe let her out, took the beans outside, threw open the windows, turned on the fans and called me. oops. Turns out our fire dectors don't work...or they went off for so long they ran out of batteries. We were gone for over an hour... Some guy drove by and asked if we had already called the fire department; we told him it was just smoke from some beans, he kindly asked for the recipe.

My Mom said she was so excited about getting a good photo she couldn't get her camera to work, so here' the only photos we have of the smoke, we also have a few videos of my Moms feet...so these photos was finally taken after most of the smoke had cleared. It was really bad, when I walked up it looked like the whole house was on fire the way the smoke was pouring out the windows.

We couldn't breathe in the house, and the beans were not eatable so we decided to go out for dinner while the house cleared. We went to the Papusaria (the El Salvadorian place) then headed to Green Canyon for a walk. It was nice there, and it smelled good.Then we came home and scrubbed smoke residue from the kitchen until late into the night.
Do I know how to show people a good time or what!
Our house now smells like were chain smokers.
We have a lot of cleanup yet to go.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your dad bled on your REI catalog! When can we come visit?....

Mama bee said...

That'll be hard to beat. What do you have planned for Olivia's visit?

amelia and jason said...

Wow! What a weekend!

bug girl said...

I have been on a break from blogs. But now I know the story and understand it more. Sorry for making you explain it to me when you had already explained it here in your blog. You only had a faint smell of chain-smoker about you last night. Really, only Joe should be that close to you to be able to smell it, and he probably stinks the same way, so neither of you will notice it.

Bonnie said...

I'm so sorry we forgot the carpet shampooer three times in a row! Shall I ship it to you?

Mama bee said...

Josh apparently had smell-like-a-smoker envy, and decided to be cool like you. Thursday afternoon (a few hours before flying out) he put applesauce jars in the canner and went outside. Unknown length of time later he came back in to smoke - all of the water had boiled off, and the applesauce was burning and bubbling out of the jars. Now we've got a handful of blackened-bottomed applesauce jars and our house smells faintly of scorched stench. Guess that's the cool new thing, huh?