Ari rode his bike yesterday, two wheels, two pedals and no training wheels. I was so proud.
I was in the house working when Joe called me and said "look out the window, Ari's going to ride by on his bike." I ran out of the house with boisterous accolades and a video recording devise. Apparently all the excitement made him "nervous" and "embarrassed" so he didn't want to pedal his bike anymore. I always forget that Ari's the kind of kid that doesn't like a lot of praise and attention. I learned this when I got too excited about him knowing his letters, now he doesn't like to let me know he knows them...
Anyway, Ari's success on his bike is due in large part to our neighbors. They told us about the balance bike. Kids learn how to balance first, then incorporate pedals. Ari caught onto the balance thing almost immediately and has loved Cora's bike so Joe got Ari a smaller bike at the DI (one he could reach the ground on) and took off the pedals. Worked like a charm, then when he looked ready to incorporate pedals he stuck them back on. Bam, he took off riding on the first try, he was even making skid marks on the sidewalk. Kudos also go to K-So who has put in some time dragging Ari around on his bike so that he could practice his balancing technique.
Here is the only decent video I got, you know, before he got to "nervous" and "embarrassed."
Can you tell I'm proud? :) Just don't tell Ari, I want him to use his pedals again one of these days...
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Ari Rides
Posted by
Lindsey
at
1:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
So you just take off the pedals to make a balance bike? Nice!
Way to go Ari (said in a quiet, modest voice).
Post a Comment