Monday, May 3, 2010

So Long April

I feel like I should update my blog. I've spent the last few weeks blogging in my head, but have not yet found the time to translate those thoughts. Photos have been scarce because the hard drive on my computer is too full to cram anything else on there. I got an external hard drive for Christmas; just have yet to transfer all my photos. I'll get to it one of these days, then the photo's can resume.

Perhaps for now a bullet list is in order. Let's call this list: April events that didn't get blogged about.

1. My Dad was diagnosed with an extremely rare form of cancer called "Primary Intestinal Follicular Lymphoma." It was quite a scare for the family; but thanks to competent Doctors, prayers, good friends, good vibes and a series of miracles it was found and taken out in a matter of days. He's not totally out of the woods, and will still be monitored, but things look good.

2. I lost my job. We dropped our biggest client, which happened to be the account I spent all my time on. This was both stressful and exciting. Then I got a new position with the same boss. I'm a Personal Assistant. Ever seen Devil Wears Prada? That's me. Sort of.

3. Joe's been looking for and applying for jobs and post-docs. He'll graduate whenever something comes up. In case your wondering, yes, it is a bad time to be looking for a job in academics. For now I'm just trying to take advantage of the fact that he still has a flexible schedule.

4. Isaac is eating a lot. A LOT. It's weird to have a child who actually wants to eat.

5. My sweet Ari seems to be entering the terrible threes. FAR worse that the terrible twos. Last night after talking to Olivia (where she gave me some excellent insight on how kids are like dogs) I decided to focus on and reward positive behavior more. Well, this morning I waited until about noon for Ari to do something positive that I could praise. That never happened. I finally lost it when he threw a shoe at me in a fit of rage. I put him in timeout and gave him my best death glare while I said with gritted teeth "My patience is gone. I'm done. You. Do. Not. Act. Like. This" more death glare. Worked like a charm. He was quite delightful the rest of the day.

I'm starting to feel like everyone else's 3 year old doesn't do things like throw shoes at and claw their mothers. I'm also starting to feel like my 8 month old is the only one that still wakes up several times a night...

6. I can't get my dog to stop eating chicken poop.

7. We sold the Honda. Thanks Josh.

8. I attended a Guidelines for Excellence in Environmental Education training in SLC. It was wonderful. If anyone wants to know how to create better Env Ed programs let me know. I'm all fired up.

9. I've apparently taken up grinding my teeth day and night. My jaw was continuously sore for months. I guess it's that second child that pushes you over the edge? At any rate my sister hooked me up with a great deal on a night guard. It gives me an awesome lisp.

10. Carrying around my big camera has gotten difficult, so often I don't even bother to take photos of our daily adventures, or I take a crappy photo on my phone. For this reason I have a new MUST HAVE it's a Leica D-LUX 4 and I'm accepting donations. Drool drool.

11. Will Logan ever be warm again?

7 comments:

Josh said...

I didn't buy your car. Just helping out two friends...

Becca Jones said...

My 3 yo claws at me, throws shoes, stands at the top of the stairs and pees down them, throws toys and temper tantrums, breaks dishes and windows.....and he does a lot of great things, too. I thought that was normal? Maybe we're both abnormal together....

I've never found praising the good works as well as complete honesty all around. "You're driving me crazy--you cannot draw on my face with markers. Period" is just as valuable as "You did a really good job of sharing with your brother!" Sounds like you figured it out a lot faster than I did!

My 15 mo old still wakes up twice a night. My 3 yo wakes up once a night. My 4 yo wakes up 4-6 times a night. BUT THE BIG KIDS SLEEP! It does happen eventually....don't give up yet.

I'm glad your dad is okay. That stopped my heart for a minute.

So, enough with the long comment. I'm done.

Unknown said...

Lins - all I have to say is we need to go for more walks - rain or shine! and, I'm so glad things seem to be okay with your Dad.

Sus Mettler said...

Alex has a mouth guard too! It IS an awesome lisp.

Sus Mettler said...

Also, my child laughs at me when I tell her "no." That can't bode well.

Mama bee said...

Comments in list form. :)
1. Scary about your dad, but glad things are looking good now. Sending 'all better' thoughts his way.

5. You already know that Cora's right there with Ari in the terrible threes. He's most definitely NOT the only 3 year old who is a complete terror at times. Fun anecdote for ya: 15 minutes before my mother arrived at our house yesterday, I heard "Mama, don't come in" from the office. I walk in and Cora is coloring ALL OVER her face with a pink highlighter while sitting in a puddle of pee. Very. Unhappy. Mama. Ugh.

11. I'm certain Logan will switch right from stupid May snowstorms to 85 degree days, sending us all into shock. I can't wait.

Suzanne said...

I had a pen and star wars figure thrown at me today. I feel like we live in time outs. It really MUST be the age.

I am happy to hear your dad is ok- that was a scary thing to read!

Glad you have a job too.

Aren't you glad it's May?
Happy bday tomorrow Lins!!!