Friday, February 11, 2011

Adventures in Snow Hiking

We've gone out hiking with the sled a few times this winter, you know, back when it showed for those few weeks in January. When we sled hike we typically pick a trail where we can go up a mile or two and sled down. The first hike of the season we hiked up and sledded down as usual, but towards the end Isaac fell out and was mad so I decided to let Ari sled down a hill on his own. Now, you must understand that we were at Galena Park, on New Years Day. The hills near the parking lot at this place were PACKED with sledding rednecks. So here come Ari and I down the trail and as we get closer to the hub of rednecks I notice Ari getting more speed than I had anticipated, then I looked ahead and noticed him heading in the direction of a large bush on the edge of a creek instead of the trail. I sprang into action. I ran as fast as I could after the sled and when I saw that I wasn't going to make it I jumped as far as I could, threw my hands out in the air and landed sprawled out just in back of Ari, my fingers gripping the edge of the sled. Ari stopped about an inch from getting a face full of shrubbery. The rednecks cheered! They waved their Walmart brand snowboards and cigarets in the air, shouted curse words and clapped. It was a beautiful moment. I only wish Joe could have seen it, and better yet could have gotten it on film. I felt like such a redneck letting my kid sled out of control into a gathering of rednecks. It was awesome.

At any rate, that was not the hike pictured here. In the picture I want you to notice the yellow sled (rest her soul). The one that has been in the family baking on top of our shed for years, had been used in summer and winter for a variety of activities and was ever so delicately duct taped together in the back. Sadly, it was on this trip that she died. We hiked up and sledded down as usual, we only had one sled so all 4 of us piled on for the downhill, Ari and Joe facing forward, Isaac and I facing backwards. At some point during the sled down we hit a rock, I felt the rock, then noticed a piece of yellow plastic spinning out behind us. A few feet later I see another spot of yellow and some duck tape lagging behind. I yell to Joe to pull over and Isaac and I get off to fetch our sled parts. We notice a hole, nothing too serious, maybe the size of an adult foot. Ari and Joe continued down the hill, Isaac and I trailing behind picking up pieces of yellow plastic. I should have taken a photo of the sled at the end. Poor thing didn't even make it back to the house, we burried it in the parking lot dumpster after a great final run. R.I.P little sled, fortunately you've already been replaced.

The replacement is DELUX! It's a cargo sled that can seat all of us quite comfortably and the high sides help detour Lou from bailing out. Sure wish it would snow again so we could take the new rig out for another spin.

Sorry this first photo is so big. I just can't work this new blogger photo thing like I use to...



4 comments:

Daktari said...

This reminds me of the day I had to unceremoniously bury my favorite hiking boots in a dumpster in Jackson Hole. Some items deserve a eulogy. Goodbye yellow sled. You served them well.

Mama bee said...

Alas, yellow sled, you will be missed. We had many fun times sledding with you in all seasons.

Bonnie said...

Great story!

Liv said...

I told Dennis the story of you diving after the sled while the 'rednecks' looked on, and ended up laughing til I had tears in my eyes for the second time. I love the image... thanks for brightening my day.