
Up until November Ari has never been interested in drawing or writing. I'd ask him if he wanted to draw a picture "no". If he wanted to learn to write his name, "no". If he wanted to write letters "no". He was totally uninterested. Then one day we were making Cora a B-Day card and I said "why don't you draw a picture of Cora" knowing that he wouldn't, but I never stop asking. To my surprise he said "ok". Even more shocking is the fact that he sat down and drew something that looked like a person! I was shocked. I almost cried. I couldn't let him send his first drawing of a person!! After much convincing (he thought that if he didn't send the card to Cora she wouldn't get a birthday) we agreed that we would make Cora another card and I would keep this one because it was "special to me." After he drew the photo of Cora he drew one of me. The next day I asked him if he wanted to learn to write his name. He said "ok" and wrote his name with little help from me. The next day we drew trains (with a step by step tutorial via the internet, perhaps he gets his reluctance to draw from me....).
Its fascinating. All this time it's like he just needed to think about it. He still doesn't really like to draw. He comes home from Primary or Preschool with either a a blank paper where a drawing should be or a 3 second scribble mark obviously intended to be just enough to get whoever was asking him to draw off his back. Perhaps he's just waiting, and one of these days he'll suddenly whip out a Noah VanOrman. He does however like to write words, so much more practical than pictures, and much less abstract. Totally fits Ari, letters are after all pretty black and white.
Drawing 1: The first drawing of Cora
Drawing 2: Drawing of Mom. This photo is cropped so that I could fit it on here easier, but in the real thing my arm extends another 4 inches. It must mean something...
Drawing 3: The first train.


5 comments:
What a personality he has! Great pictures, and I can attest to his wonderful writing abilities! You should email my mom and get her opinion on his drawing. She used to teach drawing to young people. Kids are the best because they actually draw what the see rather than what their supposed to see. For example, Ari draws his people with long legs, because at his height, most people look like their made entirely of legs. When he sees you, he looks up at your face and sees inside your nose, so the nose is a prominent face feature. Etc. etc.
p.s. Remind him that if he writes me another letter, I'll send one back to him.
Did you break your leg recently? Or is that supposed to be your butt? : )
Those are awesome! And that train - holy cow! It really looks like a train!
That is so cool. It's like kids who don't talk until they can really talk.. and kids who won't walk until they can really walk... Ari has this drawing thing down. Day one - GO!
Excellent drawings! I hope he always draws things from his own, unique point of view!
Post a Comment