Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Getting Political

I know I know, if you want to maintain friendships you should never discuss Religion or Politics but I couldn't help post something political, it's been on my mind this week.

A Solder's Peace
First I have to mention a film I saw (thanks to H) that I LOVED. It's called A Solder's Peace. I was so happy to finally see an anti war film that left me feeling empowerment and hope instead of depression and anger...I can't say enough about the film. I left the film all fired up about peace.

Peace Rally
Since I was all fired up on peace I decided the next day I would attend a local “peace rally”. I was somewhat disappointed at the lack of peace I felt there. It wasn't the first rally I had ever been to but it did make me think more than most. I guess I came on such a high from the previous nights film that my hopes were dashed when I realized this might not be the most productive way to go about promoting peace. I think these types of functions have their purpose and I commend the passion of the participants (some of whom were friends and colleges I admire greatly) it's a valuable thing to voice your political opinions regardless of what they are, but I guess I thought a "peace rally" would be different than a "protest" or a "political rally"...lets just say I would have organized it in such a way that it didn't alienate other peace loving citizens. For me peace is a positive thing so I didn't see how holding up signs that said “George Bush: Worst President in 100 Years” or "Its About Oil Stupid" led to any longterm peace solutions. Did name calling ever accomplish anything?

The rally was not all cynical, for example there was one lady at the gathering who had a sign (that she wasn't holding up) that said "Promote Peace by Building on Common Beliefs". That sign was what I wish the overall mood would have been (i.e. those of speakers and musical artists). Is this the unrealist idealist in me again? I could go on...


Caucus
Last night Joe, Ari and I attended the Democratic Caucus (photo below); not because we would consider ourselves Democrats but because our fine example of politically involved friends (otherwise known as "our neighbors") invited us along. Caucuses are great! Your voice seems to mater so much more in a caucus than it does in a general election. By choosing delegates you have more of a say in what happens but on more of a grassroots level. I highly recommend it and you don't have to "belong" to a specific party to go and vote...at least at the Democratic one you didn't.


So that was our political week, it really gave Joe and I a lot to ponder...like where do people like us really fit in, and what's the best way to fulfill the creed "government of the people, by the people and for the people". It's hard to be a centrist.

Anyway, people should talk about this stuff more; it's been a great week.

3 comments:

Ike said...

Great post Linds [and family]! I have so much to say but I'll hold my tongue for all but this: I like what you have to say...SO, say it more often and to more folks!

bug girl said...

Well, if I knew you would go along for the ride I'd have taken you to my caucus meeting. There wasn't any voting going on, everyone who came could be a delegate if they wanted to be one...small parties give everyone a chance to be heard.

I wish I had seen the movie, sounds like a good one. Ike talked to me about it at work, just briefly because we were at WORK, you know ;)

Josh said...

Nice post. I'm glad you came to the caucus and felt that it wasn't a waste of time. I agree with your sentiments on the peace rally; I was a little disappointed with the overall tenor also.