Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bruneau Dunes State Park, ID


Before we hit the river we hit the sand dune. Joe wanted to do some collecting near Bruneau Dunes so we stayed the night in the park.

We had some time to kill the following morning before meeting up with the Payette crowd so I decided to try something I have always wanted to do. Kayak a sand dune.

Hiking the boat to the top of the hill we couldn't help but recall painful memories from the year we ran the Escalante River...and hauled our boats out of Coyote Gulch...

This Dune may be the tallest single-structured dune in North America but it isn't the steepest. I tried several different paddling positions, but none seemed to work. You can tell what kind of speed I was getting by the way K-So is sitting there bored and Ari was blazing past me with his bum scooting skills. I obviously need to find a steeper sand dune to fulfill my dreams.






1 comments:

Mama bee said...

I love the pic of you standing up, surfing your kayak down the dune (though from the marks behind you it looks like you're rocking/scooting it down). I'll bet Ari had a blast there.