Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Idaho: Not Just Good for Potatoes

Payette River, Idaho.

Kayaking and I have always had a love hate relationship. I usually get really nervous before running rivers, and during the run when I hear the sound of an approaching rapid, and while I'm in the midst of a rapid, and on occasion while I'm upside down and hoping I still know how to roll...then it's over, and everything went well, and I want to do it again.

I'm not sure if it's because I had not been in my boat for about two years (last year I was on a rafting kick) or if I finally got over the trauma of the Chilliwack, (the river in Canada that tried to kill me) but this year I had no nerves. I was just so excited to be on the water, it was a blast; AND I discovered I still have my roll...that was a plus.

Nothing too epic happened, the most excitement we had was while rafting the Cabarton Section of the North Fork. The wind was so strong it was picking up water from the river and blowing it at us, it was also blowing us up the river and against the bank. Luckily we were only in dire circumstances for a few minutes then the storm passed. It would have made a great video...especially the part where Lacey and I couldn't stop laughing.

Anyway, it was a great trip. I didn't take many photos, but Joe snapped a few. Joe was a champion Ari (and at times Adan) sitter. Ari had a great time sitting on the bank of the river and waving at boaters; when there was a lul in river traffic he would ask Joe for "more" more boaters to wave at. It was just one of those trips where I felt really lucky to be me. It was great.
Here are a few Photos:

ROW 1: The put-in of the Carbon Section on the North Fork AND Adan hangin in the boat. Turns out kayaks are great kid sitters. They sit in there and play around while you get ready...well, if there young kids...Ari on the other hand tried to run strait into the river.

ROW 2: Bathing in the hot spring AND Ari napping.

ROW 3-5: This is a series of photos Joe took. The three boaters are me, Lacey and Roy. The single boater is me. Not bad shots for a guy holding a kid in one hand and a camera in the other. I was sure this rapid was going to toss me which is why in photo #7 (if you click on it) you can see me going into the rapid holding my breath...like a dork.


I can't wait to hit up another river...now all I need is friends who live in a 100 mile radius who kayak. Hum.

4 comments:

Liv said...

HOLY CRAP!!! That is some big water! Nice job. I have a new bit of respect for you--as if I could have anymore than I already had. You've GOT to teach me how to do that.

Liv said...

ps. Hats off to the photographer. Those are some great pics!

Bonnie said...

So, I'm impressed, held breath or not.

Anonymous said...

Once again, I can't believe the things you do. Sorry to tell you, but I will never be kayaking with you. You're amazing. Let's go see Zachary soon. Give me a call.