Today was my 32 week check-up. As we all remember when I was pregnant with Ari I dilated early. The first time my Dr checked me was at 35 weeks when I was at a 5 and 80%. I felt like I was dilating early again so today just for "fun" I asked my Dr to check and see. Sure enough at 32 week I'm at a 2.5 and 80%. No big deal right, seems things are progressing just like last time. Lucky me!
WRONG. My Dr's freaking out a little. Sent me to Labor and Delivery to be monitored, he wants me monitored overnight to see if I'm having contractions (which I'm not). I got a shot of steriods in the butt (still hurts) that will help develop the babies lungs faster in case he's early. Tomorrow I'm set for a fetal fibronectin test (apparently predicts if you will or won’t be going into labor in the next 1 - 2 weeks) and another shot of steroids in the butt...like my butt needs steroids! Like this kids needs steroids! I can see how IF the baby is born early more developed lungs would be beneficial, but he's NOT going to be THAT early, I'm 99% sure. I know I know, there's that 1% but I tend to think all this mumbo jumbo could just end up doing more harm than good...and at what point do you just refuse to be treated? Such a fine line.
Don't get me wrong I'm just as grateful as the next guy for some good medical intervention when it's needed, I guess I just don't feel like this is needed. Seems more like they should do the fibronectin test first then use that to see if they "should" be worried. I came armed with all my medical records from Ari's birth to show that this is just how my body is and not to freak out; so far no one cares. Well, ok, there's one nurse who's on my side but her shift just ended.
Anyway, I have however gotten a tremendous amount of work done. Gotta love the mobile office. Now back to the most important work, working on getting myself out of here!
Side Note: I am however getting A LOT of free juice. Score!
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Labor and Delivery...and not in Labor or Delivering
Posted by
Lindsey
at
4:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh bummer. My friend tripped at about 35 weeks and had to go in. They kept her overnight to make sure the small Braxton-Hicks contractions weren't developing into anything else. When she actually went into labor, she found out they had permanently marked her as a Fall Risk. Her door had a huge neon sign stating such and they insisted on wheeling her around in a wheel chair! Crazy.
wow, linds. you are having quite the dramatic pregnancy! But if my theory is correct about the suckier the pregnancy, the smoother the delivery, then things should be easy peasy for you the next time you're admitted to L&D.
Enjoy your juice priviliges while you can & hope you're home soon!
You look great for what it's worth. :)
Oh man. That totally sucks. At least your doctor cares! At least you get free juice! At least you look good in hospital gowns! At least you're almost done carrying this kid!
All very easy for me to say as I sit without a belly-full of child in my own house in normal clothes.
Sorry for your trouble and butt shots. Hope you're out soon...
Is the juice really free? That look on your face says it all...
Post a Comment