Thursday, September 16, 2010

NOW I'm an American

I got called to jury duty. Like everyone else who get's called to jury duty my first thought was "what! i don't have time for this crap!" Then you and about 30 other people show up to the courthouse on your day specified (all grumbling); they show you an early 90's video that makes you feel really guilty about ever feeling disgruntled over jury duty (their not asking you to fight in a war where you would likely die...people have already died for your right to do this...they are just asking for a few days of your time...). You are then led into the court room where they draw 16 names at random to sit in the jury box; they ask you all sorts of questions to determine if you would have any biases in the case. (NOTE: You can at this time get out of jury duty by saying something like "I think Chiropractors are hokey and I don't trust them" when they tell you one of the witnesses will be a Chiropractor. I know because someone tried this and it worked). They dismiss those that are not well suited, then the lawyers take turns crossing off names on a sheet of paper until there are 8 left. I was one of the 8. By the time it got to this point I was actually kind-of excited about the whole thing. Here are a few things I like about jury duty.

1. The constant supply of lifesavers and bottled water.
2. The way everyone is the court room has to stand up with you come in. Like your the Queen of Sheba.
3. The nervous pressure to take in all the facts and to catch the small innuendos.
4. I got to hear things like "I object", "may I approach the witness", "all rise", and all other manner of Law and Order lingo.
5. Sometimes lawyers say things that make you think "do they honestly think I was born yesterday?" When that happens you feel like your brain is still functioning.
6. You can easily pick out the carefully crafted testimony from a spontaneous one.
7. Pretty sure I made about $60 off this whole thing.
8. I got wear a badge that says "JURY" so people knew not to talk to me.
9. We were escorted around by a bailiff, WITH a gun.
10. I loved the way 8 totally random individuals could get along so well.
11. I learned all about the health benefits of cod liver oil, liver, coconut oil and how bad sunscreen is for you. This had nothing to do with the trial...
12...which brings me to this next point. There was quite a bit of down time. I read a lot, chatted a lot and had long lunch breaks.
13. Cell phones were not allowed the courthouse. We actually had to talk to each other for lack of alternative entertainment. Not a single jury member was fixated on their phone!
14. No phone = No one can ask you to do anything. For TWO days.
15. I went to lunch by myself.
16. Learned all sorts of things about the justice system I'd never really thought about.
17. When we were deliberating we all agreed instantly but took an hour and a half making sure, combing over everything like we were FBI agents.
18. For a full 48 hours I knew about something Joe didn't. No matter what form of torture he subjected me to, I would not betray my oath of silence.
19. For a moment, I felt powerful.
20. In Logan they only have 1 case a month that actually gets tried by a jury. This makes me cool.

The thing I didn't like about jury duty is that I had to be a part of a decision that was going to disappoint someone. When the verdict was read I couldn't look at anyone, I was so nervous I almost passed out. Then it was over. And we all went our separate ways. I'm going to wonder about those people the rest of my life... Do you think it's appropriate to invite the Defendant to be my friend on facebook;)?

3 comments:

bug girl said...

The truth of the matter is that I am extremely jealous. I got called to report to jury duty a week after I got into the MTC for my mission. So, I missed the one cool chance I've had so far.

Mama bee said...

You should totally friend the Defendant. And maybe the judge too.

Brian said...

If Rodney King can marry a juror then you can friend the defendant for sure!