Also, I'm wondering if anyone out there speaks hair. I got another bad haircut last week.
I typically give the following instructions:
1. Something that will grow out evenly.
2. A slight a-line, but without all the layers in the back.
3. A few layers near the tips. Enough that I don't look like a mushroom but not so many that I look like a cowgirl.
4. I want it to look ok curly or strait.
5. I still want to be able to put it in a pony tail.
6. I don't want something I have to "do" because I don't typically take the time.
So HOW ON EARTH does this translate into cut all my hair off and make me look like I got in a fight with a lawn mower! Are there secret hair code words I need to use or avoid? It's a joke. Just when I get a bad haircut grown out and go into have it evened out BAM! another ugly haircut. Am I just really homely and these people think they are doing me a favor by giving me a hairdo? I think I need to add another demand.
7. I want something in the style frump.
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Hair Speak?
Posted by
Lindsey
at
12:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am so sorry. Bad hair cuts are the WORST. To be honest with you, the only way to get your hair to do what you want, is to go to someone who knows what they are talking about. That is hard to find and tends to be about double the price. It costs 32 dollars for my hair cuts but I can do them and look cute for between 3-6 months. Not that it helps but if you need a good stylist she is in Provo. :(
No offense, but hairdressers aren't always the top of the intelligence scale. Sometimes, a picture speaks a thousand words they don't understand. Give them a picture to work with and you are more lushly to walk away happier.
First, you're as far from homely as is possible. Second, I thought you looked cute when I saw you last week! And finally there is a disconnect between hairdressers and those of us familiar with frump: What takes them ten minutes takes the rest of us thirty. And they think taking ten minutes to do hair is the same as not 'doing' it. Ha. Ten minutes is too long. Maybe next time tell them you want something you don't have to brush. Maybe they'll get the idea. And I'm with Liz. Find a good picture and bring it with you.
I don't know what to say. I have given up on hairdressers. I keep it simple enough that even Alex can do it--cut off an even 1/4 inch. Then I do any layers in the front as I see fit. That's why I'm always wearing my hair in a ponytail or a braid.
Lindsey, your blog makes me laugh out loud. every time I come to read a bit. I love it. Your family is too awesome.
Oh, and I just cut my own hair. I live in ponytails anyway. Maybe you could teach Joe?
I'll email my sister with a link to this post, and ask her what you should say. Otherwise I have no idea. Hopefully the hairdressers in Reno understand the "don't make me look like a mushroom/cowgirl" request?
Hey Lindsey:) My sister (Mamma Bee) said you needed some info for hair stuff:) Speaking as a former hairdresser, I am sorry to say that almost all hairdressers have horrible customer service and listening skills. So here are some more tips that might help get the idea of what you want through to the next hairdresser:
-A LONG bob, with a slight A line (the base of your neck or longer and about collar bone in the front for length)
-Light layers, and little framing in the front (too much and your hair wont fit into a pony)
-Also if you show them where you want your hair length to be, and tell them "no shorter than..." that should help. Make it seem that you will be very distraught if your hair gets cut too short:)
-Oh, and see if you can ask them to explain what you had just told them, to make sure they understand what they should do:)
I hope this help:) I still get nerve-wrecked every time I get my hair cut, but I've noticed doing these things and using supper-specific words tend to help.
Good Luck Lindsey:)
Post a Comment