Monday, October 4, 2010

Roosters Don't Have Bums - Conversations with Ari

Joe was pouring syrup on his waffle and left a tiny drip on the jar.

Ari: (angrily) Dad! You dripped!
Joe: Oh I did. Oops.
Ari: That's naughty Dad.
Joe: (Laughs)
Me: Yep, that's Dad. Always dripping the syrup. You see Ari, you just can't teach an old horse new tricks. He just drips. It's what he does.
Ari: (Thinks for a second) Ya Dad. Your an old horse.

A few hours later.

Ari: Mom. Let's pretend I'm an old horse.
Me: Ok. Hi old horse, how are you.
Ari: NOOO! I'm an old horse so your suppose to teach me tricks.
Me: (thinking: where in the world did he get that...oh yaa) Haahahaa

I had a good laugh. It was only at that moment I realized the saying is "You can't teach an old DOG new tricks". We always joke about Dad being an old horse now.

_____

Ari's been really interested in why our chicken eggs don't hatch into chicks. I just tell him "because we don't have a rooster". He then reminds me that we ate our rooster and we have to go into the whole discussion on why we ate our rooster. One day while having this conversation he said:

Ari: Well, why don't roosters lay eggs?
Me: Because they are boys and boys don't lay eggs.
Ari: (Stared at me really puzzled)
Me: Do boy lizards lay eggs?
Ari: No
Me: Do boy birds lay eggs?
Ari: No
Me: Do boy frogs lay eggs?
Ari No
Me: See, boys just don't lay eggs. That's what the girls do.
Ari: (Thinks for a second) No Mom. I know why roosters don't lay eggs. Because they don't have bums!

He got a good laugh at himself over that one. I love it when he cracks jokes.

______

Ari: (Looking at my belly button) Mom, is this where Zikky came out?
Me: No
Ari: Well then where did he come out?
Me: Uummm. Not out of my belly button.
Ari: Then where?
Me: He was in my uterus.
Ari: Wheres that?
Me: (I pat my abdominal region) It's right here.
Ari: (getting frustrated) No. But where. Show me WHERE HE CAME OUT!
Me: Hey, want to go get a pop cycle?
Ari: Ok.

I Just can't think that quick. But I know it's going to come up again. I'll be better prepared next time. In the meantime, got any suggestions;).

______

I was in the kitchen the other day putting away dishes and this little voice come from inside a cupboard that only had feet sticking out. "Mom. I'm really going to miss this cupboard when we move". I had a camera handy, so I took a photo of the talking feet and Ari in the cupboard he will greatly miss.

I admit, I lied and said "I will too". Truth is I can't wait to get a bigger kitchen.


2 comments:

todd & nicole said...

My friend's four year old asked her where his baby sister came out and she told him that mommies have a special place where they come out. He quickly asked "Can I see it?"

Josh said...

Have him ask Cora next time they video chat.