Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Mom Passed Out

A few weeks ago Claud and Brian brought their crew up to Logan for a visit. We hiked the kids up the Spring Hollow trail and down the trail that joins with Mill Hollow. It was a lovely fall day; the little ones had fun practicing their walking skills, the older monkeys had fun hiding in the bushes to scare us, and we had fun chatting with friends.




After the hike we headed up to Guineva Malibu Campground for a picnic. I was slicing some cheese for the burgers when my new knife slipped and cut my thumb open. Claudia, in true motherhood fashion immediately grabbed a butt wipe which I held tightly to my finger while Brian fetched his first aid kit. At first I was mostly ticked off that I would now need to leave this fine company, drive down to Logan and get stitches with no insurance. I was thinking about this when Claudia started to tell me about the time she did the same thing only with a bread knife. I started to get hot and feel really dizzy, I announced I needed a chair. I got to the camp chair just in time to pass out. Totally out. Apparently I was even snoring. I wish I could remember the dream I was in, but the last thing I remember was seeing a light at the end of a dark tunnel. I think I snapped out of it when Brian pulled off my bandage to re-dress the wound. I was alert enough to noticed I was drenched in sweet and felt like I was going to puke all over myself. Apparently I was able to mutter the bit about puking because someone got me juice. I wanted to drink it but couldn't move (I'm guessing this was when the photo was taken since the juice is still propped up to my lips). Eventually the feeling to puke was so overpowering I managed to hurry and chug some juice and felt slightly better. I'm glad Brian took photos, these are hilarious, I look totally dead!



The finger is healing fine. No stitches, just a nice healthy looking scar.

Ari now reminds me every time I get out a knife to be careful and not pass out. Whenever someone asked me what happened to my finger Ari would say "my Mom passed out" followed by "and my Mom passed out when I got a shot". Thanks Ari. Thanks a lot.
.

5 comments:

Mama bee said...

Yikes! You've definitely looked better, Linds. I think you'll be okay with Ari growing up, since he's not a daredevil and unlikely to put you through many more fainting-inducing situations. Isaac however... good luck. ;)

C. Wilson said...

I'm sure it wasn't funny when it happened, but I couldn't stop laughing while reading this. Just a side note: Lindsey, stay away from blood. Far, far away.

Rebekii said...

I can't stop laughing either... Linds - BE CAREFUL!!! :)

kristen said...

Ha ha. I'm glad Brian knows you well enough to know you would want it captured on film. You really do look dead... gross. Would make a good Halloween costume though.
How is nightweaning going? Sorry I missed your call. :( My best advice though is to read that article I sent you. It worked just like clockwork with Noah who was my anti-clockwork baby. He did get mad and cry for awhile the first couple nights, but it was never a terrible experience. I never felt like I was abandoning him or anything because I was still there, just not nursing him to sleep anymore. it seemed like a good, gradual way to teach him that we were changing up how things work at nighttime.
Hope it works for you & Lou.
My SIL really liked the No Cry Sleep Solution. Anyhoo... good luck.
Keep us posted. :)

Claudia said...

I still can't stop laughing about this. Here I am wondering if you need real help and Brian grabs the camera. I'll try not to discuss serrated knives anymore...lesson learned!