Sunday, October 24, 2010

Wellsvilles. Check!

Kim and I decided to get together for a little hike last weekend. I was thinking Card Canyon, Rendezvous, you know, something along the lines of 4-5 miles. So, imagine my surprise when I called Kim the night before and she said "why don't we do the Wellsvilles." I was pleasantly surprised, Kim and Olivia are so good at helping me cross off things on my to-do-before-i-leave-logan-list. I'll admit I was a little nervous for the hike, this mountain range is often claimed to be one of the steepest in North America, which sounds like a nightmare for people with bad knees, but luckily it was not the steepest trail in North America. If on the steepness scale the trail at the top of the Grand Teton (just before you rope up) is a 10, this was only a 6.

We started at Rattlesnake, miles 2-3 were torture but after Kim and I started trading off my Olivia sized pack it was somewhat wonderful. These mountains are also very narrow so we traversed the ridge line for about 7 of the 14 miles hiking up and down from peak to peak. We watched a mediocre sunset from the top of Deep Canyon then hiked down in the dark. All in all if the last 2 miles of Lone Peak is a 10 on my pain scale, and giving birth is a 9, coming down Deep Canyon was only a 7 (thanks to Kim who carried the pack on the way down). Awesome hike. Can't wait to do it again.

A few photos from the trail, mostly featuring the clouds since they were being so cooperative that day. My favorite was this photo of me Kim took. Looks like I'm praying to the knee Gods, but really I was just looking at trinkets left on top of the Wellsville Cone.



1 comments:

Sus Mettler said...

Boy. I wish I could have come. I really miss views like that.