WARNING: You may only care about this post if you deal with small peeing children.
I've been fearing this week for weeks. We set a date for after Memorial Day weekend to start potty training Ari. I think he's been ready for awhile, I've just lacked motivation.
We knew he was ready for the following reasons:
1. He announces he needs to go pee just before peeing his diaper.
2. He holds his bladder so long the pee comes gushing out his diaper.
3. He asks to have his diaper changed upon said peeing.
I was nervous only because we've tried at random (I know, our first problem) to set him on the potty when we know he needs to go and he wasn't a big fan. Sometimes he would use it then after awhile he would either get mad, or sit on the potty and not pee then get down and pee his pants. SO, we decided that when we started we just needed to hit it hard and never look back.
We've been at it 4 days now, the first day was great, he even asked to poop in the potty. The second day was utterly discouraging (photo to the right), but we seem to have hit a small stride. Ari asked to use the neighbors potty while being tended (even though he had on a diaper), AND the last two nights he's woken up at 3:30 am and asked to use the potty. I was shocked. I know kids usually hit a regression point; I'm just crossing my fingers.
Methods that have helped so far:
1. All but one of his "accidents" have been outside so we introduced watering the lawn. I know, totally unsanitary but I think we will establish a peeing tree that can be hosed off after use.
2. Getting a treat just for sitting on the potty regardless of if you go or not.
3. Extra big treat for going poop.
4. Cheerios in the toilet for target practice.
5. Many kudos after a successful potty use.
6. Seeing an admirable friend use the toilet (we owe you one Myelle, I think this was KEY).
Were far from announcing mission accomplished, but were definitely moving in the right direction. I LOVE not washing stinky diapers every three days. Now how to handle going on vacation in a few weeks...
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Potty Training In Full Swing
Posted by
Lindsey
at
2:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I don't think it is unsanitary, Linds. You know, pee is sterile after all. :) Good work!
Post a Comment