I got the following email from my friend Kim yesterday, I thought that since some of you have a similar re-occurring dream you might find this interesting. I was particularly amused by the fact that I subconsciously capitalized the word Algebra, AND I really do have a sister who's good at Math. Oh and don't worry, I'm pretty sure Joe's excited about the babe...but I will make apple pie anyway, yum
From Kim
I sent your little write-up about your reoccurring dream to my friend Andi, here is what she wrote (this is without knowing anything about you except that you are married, have a child, a dog, and are pregnant again.)
From Andi
Off the top of my head, I would say this:
The irony ... of course ... is that cheating in a college setting is by far harder than algebra problem! She knows she's smart, just not in the same way as her sister. Right now her intellectual, physical and emotional energy is not sufficient to accomplish all the things she thinks she needs to get done in the time she has been given to do it. (What those tasks are I can't say. None of our business, I guess.) This frustration is compounded by the fact that she is SURE she has already done this impossible task already. "What? Fail algebra over and over? I might as well think pregnancy is FUN!" Eternal Hell.
It is dawning on her that "there is no other way" to accomplish everything (or maybe have ANOTHER baby -- she's sure she's already had one of those already!?) is to ... make a deal with the devil and cheat. Just like our first Mother of All Living, she finds herself at the edge of paradise sensing it is time to graduate to a new level of eternal progression. (Maybe her first kid finally potty-trained or learned to sleep through the night -- maternal paradise.) It is a strange mystery to all woman why we would align ourselves with Satan momentarily to transgress/cheat our way into The Lone and Dreary World. This is realm where having children hurts. And I don't mean just the pain of labor.
Tell her not to worry. Since Eve and the Garden of Eden (her college days), God has provided her a Savior ... and epidurals ... and a husband ... and a dog ... and a friend named Kim ... and some crazy internet dream interpreter lady. Point being, she has lots of resources to help her out on her "test". By hook or by crook, she'll get through it all. BUT NONE OF US MAKE IT ALL THE WAY WITH OUT "CHEATING" A LITTLE.
And if her husband isn't totally excited about a new baby yet, tell her to start "cooking". Guys totally "fall" for the old "Honey, I made your favorite. It's hot apple pie!" trick every time.
1 comments:
That's awesome, Lindsey. :)
I think I was just going to say you were anxious about all the things you have to do and change now that you've got another child coming and wanted to find a way to fix it/solve the problem. Cool interpretation!
PS-Reading about your dream was funny to me because I've been having a recurring nightmare that it's time to leave to go on our trip to Italy, and only some of us have our passports. It's amazing the crazy solutions that I have come up with in those dreams...
Post a Comment