I don't know if pregnant women really crave strange food combinations like pickles and ice cream, I know that's a rarity for me. I'm more of an I want what I want and I want it NOW sort of person; usually something brought on by the power of suggestion.
Take last week for example; at approximately 9:00pm I was reading "A Fairwell to Arms." A character in the book was eating some sort of meat and gravy product. My mind wandered to the previous weekend when Joe's Mom made some really really really good beef roast and gravy (of which I ate half). Then I started imagining the gravy on potatoes and next thing I knew I thought I would die without beef stew, you know, the kind that takes 6 hours in a crock pot. I tried to fight the feeling but at 9:15 I knew I wouldn't sleep until I had it. I called my Mom about making beef stew in the pressure cooker, she tried to convince me to go get a can of Dinty More but that's not what I wanted, I NEEDED the real deal. I cut veggies, Joe ran to the store for stew meat and by 10:00 I was enjoying a fine bowl of stew. Ahhhh, catastrophe averted.
This happens quite frequently...facebook is the worst for this. I never realized how many times people mention food in there status updates. Cinnamon rolls, baked potato, chili, hamburger, mangoes, girl scout cookies... I've had to urgently find them all. I actually had a really hard time a few weeks back because I NEEDED a #7 at Jimmy Johns, a sandwich shop in St.G. I had to really work with myself to keep from driving 500 miles for a sandwich...with ham and peperoni, salami, tomatoes, dressing, a tender white hogie...I even wanted the mayo!
I also crave things that are nostalgic like my Grandmas apple pie, my Moms bran muffins, Blimpie back when it was good… So tonight we will dine on a favorite to nearly every child who grew up at the height of the cream of whatever and frozen food boom. Tater-tot casserole. Oh and maybe some Jell-O; the kind with cottage cheese in it. Yum.
.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Food. I Want You.
Posted by
Lindsey
at
1:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey! I had a serious tater tot casserole craving too! It was in the height of my feeling like I was going to puke all the time stage... I actually think I ended up making a microwave version that looked so disgusting I took photos. But I ate it all & it was the only thing that entire day I think that tasted good to me.
Now I think I am past the specific food craving stage... I just want food. The kind that somebody else just gives to me and I don't have to prepare it. I wish that happened more often.
I made Alex go to KFC with me after I saw a commercial on TV. I'd never even been there before, it just looked so good. It wasn't that great, but it satisfied the NEED.
FYI there's a Jimmie John's at Fort Union and 7th East in Midvale. You wouldn't have to make the trek all the way to St. George...
Post a Comment