Thursday, May 15, 2008

Buckskin Gulch

The first time I went to Buckskin Gulch was back in 1999ish; we hiked down Buckskin and out Wire Pass in a day. I went with a kid I had a huge crush on so I was a little sidetracked. I remembered the Gulch being really cool so I've always wanted to take Joe back there...I must have really been sidetracked because had I remembered how amazing this place was I would have been back LONG ago.

The trail starts out with you wondering if your on the right trail as there is nothing resembling a slot canyon in site, but after a few miles, two Ari breaks, and a couple of snake sitings you eventually start to drop into the slot canyon. (I tried to catch Ari a baby Bull Snake but it bit me and made me bleed. Apparently baby snakes are ornery).


Before you know it you find your self deep in one of the most beautiful places on the face of this earth.


The canyon was so full of life. Obviously there's not a lot of light down there so it stays cool enough for the canyon dwelling critters to move very very slowly. Joe got a lot of cool photos and Ari got to hold a lot of lizards. The most amazing siteing was this juvenile owl (maybe Bonnie can tell us what it is). It was just sitting in the bottom of the canyon hissing at people as they passed (you can see it hissing at me and K-So in a photo below). In one of the photos you see a man bringing it a dead rodent, he was worried that it was stuck down there and might starve.


Picture your tent in this part of the canyon. This was my favorite spot, this sandbar would make the perfect camping spot! I have big plans to backpack this. Who's with me?


Here are a few shots from inside the Gulch. I really wish I could have taken the time to set up some nice canyon shots but alas my battery light was blinking so all I dared do was snap a few photos and hurry and turn the camera off before the battery died. Next time...




These were taken on the hike out. Notice the storm clouds approaching. It got really windy (surprise surprise). The clouds moved in fast and the temperature dropped about 30 degrees. We got back to the car just as it started to sprinkle.























It was a GREAT day. I can't wait to go back.

.

4 comments:

bug girl said...

You don't even have to twist my arm, I'll go along on your adventure. That slot is beautiful. I can't remember if I have been there or not, for some reason I think I missed that hike when I was down there...yet it sounds so familiar (as in I feel like I have done it, not that I heard someone talk about it.)

Becca said...

Every time I read about your excursions I think you guys have the coolest life. So romantic and adventurous and artistic and healthy. As usual, the pictures are stunning and I am instantly eager to go see this place for myself.

Kiesha said...

Your road trips (and pics) are amazing! I haven't explored Southern Utah nearly enough. Hey, I wondered if I could get yours or Joe's email address. I've got some 10 year reunion info to forward to you. My blog is bkrsbaldwin.blogspot.com or email is kieshabaldwin@hotmail.com. Thanks Lindsey!

Mama bee said...

That is gorgeous. Did you find out what kind of owl that is? I love the picture of it hissing at you guys, and how curious K-So looks.