Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Longest Drive EVER.


This was us leaving town yesterday; its no minivan. I'm pretty sure I've never been so crammed in a car. You may look at the photo and ask yourself “where did Lindsey sit”. Answer: Under K-So.

Joe and Kevin had planned to take a shuttle to the Airport (they are on their way to Nicaragua) when I had this brain child idea that I would take them to the airport then leave directly from there to St.George (I’m headed to Southern CA with my family). My idea was stupid on so many levels; the first being fitting 4 peoples gear for 2 weeks including a bike tailor and 5 malaise traps in the car. Also, I thought it would work well if I sat in the back and read books with Ari; that way we could get in some reading time and I could keep Ari awake and he would take a nice long nap later on and it would be smooth sailing to at least Beaver. Right.

I wasn’t able to read to Ari because I couldn’t see him; a cooler and several bags separated us. Ari stayed awake not because I was entertaining (although I’m sure it jolted him every time K-So dug her knee in my pelvis and I squelched in pain) but because his legs were being squished by falling debris…this made him ornery enough to stay awake. By the time we dropped of Joe, Kevin, and K-So Ari was in bad spirits. Here are a few stats from the drive:

Number of hours taken to drive from Logan to Cedar City: 8
Number of roadside stops: 7
Minutes Ari spent yelling at me: 47 (spread over the course of 8 hours)
Minutes Ari spent sleeping: 32
Seconds of time I spent listening to new music on my iPod: 0 (long story)
Minutes spent listening to AM talk radio: 32
Number of times Ari lost his binki in a fit of rage: 4
Hours it took to get Ari to stop chasing trucks at the truck stop long enough to eat 1 hardboiled egg and 12 spoonfuls of beans n’ rice: 1
Hours Ari spent actually watching Dumbo: 1.21
Number of rounds of “Old McDonald”: Surprisingly only 2 (then he wanted me to stop?)
Ounces of caffeine it took to get from Beaver to Cedar City: 16
Number of bathroom breaks I needed: 2
Number of bathroom breaks I got: 1
Number of times I wished Joe were there: ∞

We ended up sleeping in Cedar City at my Grandparents.

4 comments:

Mama bee said...

Ohhhhhh boy. That sucks. Hope your trip to California goes much smoother.

Liv said...

Oh man. What a trip! I would like to say that I wish i could have been there to help, but I'm not sure where I would have fit. Glad the two of you survived, and I hope you have a blast in CA!

Becca said...

sounds miserable. glad you survived.

Unknown said...

I hear you loud and clear driving mama! My last road trip with just me Eva and the pup started out with a pooping, peeing, puking, car sick puppy and a baby who couldn't sleep for all the whimpering going on. THank goodness the dramamine for the pup started working!!! If it hadn't, it might have been as long a trip as yours!!! Hope you're having fun in CA.