Wednesday, August 12, 2009

35 weeks, 3.5 cm, 90%, -1

Dr. Apt update. As of today:

35 Weeks
3.5 cm dilated
90% effaced
-1 station (forgot to ask but I would assume it's close to the same, graphic to the right for those not familiar with stations)

My Dr. brought up the I word (In@%ctio#) today. I know most people would be pleased as punch to be induced at 38 weeks but I'm not so sure. I still feel cheated for being induced (via water braking) the first time even though in retrospect it was actually our best option; I really would have had Ari in Sardine Canyon. I just really want to experience going into labor on my own, seeing how things progress, getting out my timer, doing the race car thing to the hospital, possibly giving birth in under 10 minutes, in the foyer...at least were only 6 blocks from the hospital this time instead of an hour. I know I don't have to make any decisions right now, a lot can happen in 3 weeks but if I'm at an 8 and 100% at 38 weeks again with a "weaker cervix" I really might end up accidentally having this kid at home; it's a valid concern (my Dr's biggest concern). I can see pros and cons on both sides, biggest pro wonder if I'm home alone with Ari and all the problems that could be associated with me delivering myself, biggest con inductions have the potential to cause problems too. Any and all thoughts are welcome as I will be putting together a decision matrix just in case. I plan to start moving around again next week so hopefully he will just come early on his own.

The saga continues...

5 comments:

Mama bee said...

Ugh, the I word. I wondered if/when it would be coming (hope I didn't jinx you by asking!). You can add a couple things to your decision matrix: we can watch Ari anytime (yes, really, ANY time), and would also be totally capable of loading you in the Suburban and racing you to the hospital mid-day if necessary.

I vote for the "wait and see" approach. But it's your body and your family, so do what feels right for you.

amelia and jason said...

I am sure you will make the best descision. I wish I was more like you...I am all about getting the baby out on my time table. Anyway, I bet this little guy will come out on his own before you even have to decide. Hang in there!

Becca Jones said...

Sounds like junior takes after his Dad, trying to come early.....

My babies move toward delivery early, too, but we've still always made it to the hospital and then some--being at -1 and 4 cm dilated can last 4-6 weeks, for me--and that's when I'm walking around and chasing other kids.

I always WANT to have my baby at home, but I'm afraid of two things: complications and cleanup. Oh, yeah, and that "having the toddler deliver the baby" issue.

I, too, am opposed to induction by chemical means because it produces a much more difficult, painful labor (for me, anyway). I'm all in favor of induction by breaking water or stripping membranes because it doesn't work unless you're about to go into labor (or are in labor and just need to speed things up) anyway.

My rule is: go ahead an induce chemically, but only after 39 weeks 5 days (NOT for the doctor's convenience, regardless of the excuse they use), and if you want to "hurry things along", start slow, with stripping the membranes.

I'm curious what happens for you and pray for the best.

We won't expect to see you at Caleb's baptism on the 25th.

Unknown said...

I am pondering your situation... I think it is noteworthy that you have a friend nearby that can take you to the hospital when Joe is not around. I know I'm a skeptic, but doctors are trained for emergencies and so they tend to treat everything like one... at least that has been my experience. I think your body will tell you what to do as you get closer. I also agree that if you are about to have your baby and you have your membranes stripped, it will happen. That would be a good place to start. I had my membranes stripped with Eva twice. Once I had to go back in a week and he did it again - without telling me what he was doing mind you - and then the second time, well, we were back later that night. I'm rambling now... but I say trust your body and don't let fear motivate you in your decisions too much. This is all from someone who barely gets to a four or five after many many hours of labor 9 days after the due date, so take that for what it's worth. :)

Daktari said...

Lins, I don't know nothing 'bout birthing no babies, but I just wanna know....is your child gonna come out with a perfect haircut like in that graphic. That's pretty handy.